Dennis had first use of a perfect wicket and opened with Brown and Smith.  With 20 runs on the board, Smith 18, was caught of Fairweather.  Wade batting nicely for 27, and Steele 12, were the only other batsmen to reach double figures.  Ellis, who was turning the ball nicely, in taking 5/22 had most of the batsmen in trouble and the innings terminated for 86.

Thornbury opened full of confidence and soon had 40 runs up.  Pike, who opened, was dismissed for 18. Gall and Fairweather batted well.  Their running between wickets was a treat to watch, and they put on 58 for the third wicket.  Fairweather at 29 was sent back to the pavilion.  Gall 62, gave a fine exhibition and P. Olver’s knock of 26 was a good one.  W. Smith, 14, also batted well.  At 171 the Thornbury innings terminated.  N. Smith bowled well and accounted for 6/50.

Dennis in their second knock put up a splendid fight, and with Smith and Brown as their opening batsmen, the foundation was laid for a tall score.  The first wicket fell at 47 (Smith 38).  Steele joined Brown and they carried the score to 112, the second wicket putting on 55.  Several wickets fell cheaply, Munro batted solidly for 33.  At 7/189 Mills joined Constance and they passed the double century.  On reaching 237, Mills 15, fell a victim to Hendy.  48 runs having been put on for the eighth wicket.  The innings was brought to a close at 259.  It was an excellent recovery after the side had been dismissed for such a small score in the first innings.

Requiring 175 to win the premiership, Thornbury struck a bad patch.  The weather took a part in the game and on the third day rain delayed play until 2:10pm.  Nevertheless Thornbury put up a splendid fight, and failed by 21 runs to gain their second successive premiership.  Losing their first three wickets for 14 runs, Gall, 34, and Crewther, 29, put up a good stand for the fourth wicket and added 64.  P. Olver, who batted confidently in the first innings and who was rather late on the batting list, performed confidently in his second hand and no difficulty in knocking up 51 in quick time, scoring three 6’s, and two 4’s off Smith’s fast bowling before being caught of Cole.  This terminated the innings for 153, after a well fought game which promised many anxious moments for both teams.  Cole bowled exceptionally well to secure 6/32, and Wade 3/34.

Dennis Thus ran out winners in a contest of thrills, and gained the 1943/44 and their third A grade Premiership.